Do you find yourself quitting proper meal planning immediately after you’ve made it? If your answer is yes, and you need to lose weight quickly, don’t let the method of meal-prepping get you down. These 5 awesome tips should help you get to your fitness goals:
#1 Use ANY and EVERY kitchen tool you can find
Prepping is probably the most time-consuming thing about making healthy meals. Then, there are some helpful kitchen tools that can be your next best bet.
After all, we’re not Rachel Ray, or Bobbie Flay and have an entire team to mince onions or fillet a fish before cooking, and then have to clean everything as you go.
To make your life easier, invest in as many kitchen tools as you can find. For example:
- Spiralizer: Turn cucumbers, carrots, and other veggies into noodles
- Mandoline: Slice anything as thinly, evenly, and consistently all the time
- Salad spinner: Wash and dry your salad veggies in a flash.
- Immersion/handheld blenders: are your savior in making soups, sauces, and other liquids from scratch.
- Corers and pitters: There are corers specifically made for apples, pineapples, pears, strawberries, and so on. Having these on-hand can encourage you to eat apples in the pantry, even if you’re feeling lazy.
- Funnels: These come in varying sizes and work effortlessly in transferring liquids into smaller containers.
- Vegetable steamers
Have you heard about the herb saver pod? If you feel like you’ve been buying herbs and throwing away half of them, this pod can really be an awesome tool. Every now and then, I suggest you go window-shopping online to check out new, cool kitchen gadgets in the market.
#2 Be careful with your oils
Cooking with oils can make or break a weight loss meal plan because it is often unaccounted for. You simply just can’t measure oil consumption with every meal….or can you?
These tricks ensure you lessen bad oils from your meal preps:
- Buy an air fryer: These gadgets have been very popular lately, but they’re definitely worth all that buzz. You can cook many things with an air fryer with about 80% less oil than what you previously used. That’s a TON of oil you can avoid by just switching cookwares.
- Press and measure bottle: If you can’t afford an air fryer just yet, then do the measuring manually. These adorable bottles let you fill it up with vinegar, oil, soy sauce, and other liquids. You then press the suction on its side to suck the liquid up to the measuring cup-like upper section. When you have enough oil there, just pour it into your pan, salad, or elsewhere.
- Spray bottle: You can use this in a variety of ways from grilling to baking and everything in between. It also keeps your oil consumption down to a minimal level, so go for it.
Other condiments to be careful of include store-bought ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, pancake syrup, and so on.
#3 Have a meal plan
Many goals succeed because people follow a step-by-step path to reach their end goal. If you’re trying to lose weight, it is important that you create your own, realistic plan. If you can mix-and-match the tried-and-tested tips below to fit your lifestyle or preferences, then so be it:
- Create a menu. If you’re just starting out, this menu will evolve as you go along your healthier food journey. Don’t worry about it. Try every recipe you’re interested in and keep what works until you’ve made a healthy, month-long menu that you’ve tried, tested, and loved.
- Make a grocery shopping list. Not only does this help you save money, it also ensures you’ve got all ingredients ready for meal preps.
- Incorporate themes. From Taco Fridays to Keto Thursdays, these themes keep your dieting more interesting and flavorful.
- Stock on herbs, spices, and other low-carb ingredients that could add flavor to your meals.
- Don’t forget to prep snacks. Include snacks into your grocery list and menu so that you avoid snacking on junk food and other unhealthy stuff.
- Make your own healthier condiments. Examples include pesto, hot sauce, guacamole, nut butter, and so on.
#4 Be realistic with your portion control
Controlling your portion is effective in weight loss, but it’s not exactly for everyone. When you’re meal-prepping, make sure you control your portions gradually.
Don’t shock your system by bringing down your food intake from buffet levels to fist-sized portions. This is one of the most common reasons why diets don’t succeed.
Instead, lessen your food slowly on a weekly basis, until you’ve reached a reasonable level of portioning.
#5 Assign a meal-prepping day
Changing diets and planning a weight loss diet can overwhelm you quickly. To be able to do it consistently, assign a day for all your prepping. The most ideal day is the same day (or right after) your market/grocery day so that all your ingredients are ready for cutting, portioning, and storing.
Meal prepping is a huge factor in any quick weight loss goal. Make sure to try these friendly tips above and let me know if they worked for you.
Disclaimer: Content Research, Product Opinion & Publication Process
The articles, cosmetic tutorials, and beauty tips on SheBegan magazine are contributed by experienced fashion professionals, beauty & cosmetics experts. The team of our beauty and cosmetics professionals tests the products and then share the outcomes with proper citations and then after passing all the research & editorial checks; the content is sent live making sure there exists No Conflict of Interest. You can read about our authors, volunteers, team members and editorial board with our content review, product testing, tutorial guidance process here.