Have you just finished binge-watching the latest re-run of the Harry Potter movies and need something to keep you hooked until the next one? Or you’ve recently re-read all of the books and just can’t seem to let go of the characters? We completely understand! Watching our favorite trio grow from kids into adults, being a part of their struggles and successes, their heartbreak and losses, their joy, and impeccable humor is not something one forgets very soon. By the end of the 8 harry potter movies (or 7 harry potter books), the characters seem like a family that you just don’t want to part from!
To help you hold onto this family for just a little longer, we’ve got you covered with the best Harry Potter quotes that will either put a big smile on your face or stir up some tears. Either way, they will be sure to win your heart. So grab a cup of coffee, and get ready to dive back into the magical world of Harry Potter.
Oh, and spoilers ahead of course!
A collection of our favorite words of wisdom from Professor Albus Dumbledore:
Professor Albus Dumbledore was everyone’s backbone to rely on. Whenever things went downhill for Harry and his friends, we knew he would swoop in and help fix the day- until we didn’t (you might want to grab those tissues now!). He may not have been a saint but we can all vouch for the fact that his wisdom was one of a kind in the series! Here are some of the best quotes of Dumbledore on:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
This one is from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban at the beginning of the year ceremony while informing the students about the dementors that were going to be guarding Hogwarts.
- the Truth:
“The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should, therefore, be treated with great caution.”
This was said in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s stone when Harry inquired about Voldemort.
- On living in the present:
“It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
Dumbledore said this when he caught Harry looking at his parents in the Mirror of Erised that shows a person their greatest desire.
- On love:
Dumbledore had a knack for making Harry feel like he was truly loved whenever he felt down; By his parents, friends, and those around him, even if they weren’t around anymore.
“To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.”- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
“You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself plainly when you have need of him” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and, above all those who live without love.” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- On following the path of goodness:
“Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.”
This quote is from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, after the death of Cedric Diggory. This was when the series truly took its darkness level up a notch with the arrival of Voldemort in his full form.
Overall Favorite Quotes from Harry Potter Movies and Books:
- The beginning of a beautiful friendship
“There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”
This is from the Sorcerers’ Stone when the duo turned into a trio as Harry and Ron truly accepted Hermione as a friend for the first time!
- “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”
Said by Sirius Black from Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix.
- “I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.'”
These legendary words were said by Hagrid once the truth about him being a half-giant was out in the Order of the Phoenix. We’d always known Hagrid as a big softie and to see him own who he was after years of discrimination was truly remarkable!
- “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” -Luna Lovegood comforting Harry after the death of Sirius Black in Order of the Phoenix.
- “Dobby has no master… Dobby is a free elf!”
No one held back any tears when our favorite little elf got stabbed while saving the lives of Harry and his friends in the Deathly Hallows. However, he managed to utter these iconic words just a few moments before his demise.
A bit of humor from the series!
- “Ron, ‘you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet.” Hermione to Ron in the Order of the Phoenix.
- “Just because you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon.”
This was just another jab by Hermione at Ron’s lack of emotional sensitivity for not being able to comprehend Cho’s troubles in the Order of the Phoenix.
- “Yeah, Quirrell was a great teacher. There was just that minor drawback of him having Lord Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head!” -Harry offering a bit of sarcasm in the Order of the Phoenix.
- “Of all the trees we could’ve hit, we had to get one that hits back.”
A classic from when Ron and Harry got attacked by a tree in the Chamber of Secrets as they tried to sneak back into Hogwarts with a stolen flying car!
- “That’s what they should teach us here. How girls’ brains work… It would be more useful than divination, anyway…”–Ron Weasley whining in the Order of the Phoenix.
- “It’s leviOsa, not LeviosaA.”
We’ve all reenacted this classic multiple times from when Hermione tried to show Ron the correct way to make a feather fly in the Sorcerer’s Stone.
- “But the fact remains, he can be faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo.” — A little snippet of Fred Weasley’s speech when trying to lighten the situation and diffuse the exaggerated rumors but also warn people about Voldemort in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- “Not my daughter you b*tch!”
Our favorite line from Molly Weasley before she finally destroys the witch who killed Sirius Black, Bellatrix Lestrange.
- “Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward.” — As annoying as he might have been towards Harry, you cannot deny the fact that Draco could roast practically anyone with finesse!
A few of the best tearjerkers!
- “It’s cruel that I got to spend so much time with James and Lily, and you so little. But know this; the ones that love us never really leave us.”
This was by Sirius black in the prisoner of Azkaban to harry. This quote is even more tragic when you realize that Harry lost his new-found parental figure just 2 years later.
- “I DON’T CARE!” Harry yelled at them, snatching up a lunascope and throwing it into the fireplace. “I’VE HAD ENOUGH, I’VE SEEN ENOUGH, I WANT OUT, I WANT IT TO END, I DON’T CARE ANYMORE!”
“You do care,” said Dumbledore. He had not flinched or made a single move to stop Harry demolishing his office. His expression was calm, almost detached. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.”
A painful quote from the aftermath of Sirius Black’s death in the Order of the Phoenix.
- No! Fred! No! “And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred’s eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face.”
Jk Rowling did not hold back with the tragedies in Deathly Hallows when she killed off Fred Weasley.
- “Finally, the truth. Lying with his face pressed into the dusty carpet of the office where he had once thought he was learning the secrets of victory, Harry understood at last that he was not supposed to survive.”
Admit it; you thought Harry dying was a real possibility after reading this quote from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Of course, we saved the best for last. The one that made Severus Snape go from being the Professor we detested to being the wizard who stole our hearts. This scene is when Harry is looking through Snape’s memories and sees him cast a Doe as his Patronus Charm, which was the same as Lily Potter’s Patronus.
“After all this time?”
Disclaimer: Content Research, Product Opinion & Publication Process
The articles, cosmetic tutorials, and beauty tips on SheBegan magazine are contributed by experienced fashion professionals, beauty & cosmetics experts. The team of our beauty and cosmetics professionals tests the products and then share the outcomes with proper citations and then after passing all the research & editorial checks; the content is sent live making sure there exists No Conflict of Interest. You can read about our authors, volunteers, team members and editorial board with our content review, product testing, tutorial guidance process here.